Saturday, September 8, 2007

Fleeing Fredericksburg

The following quote from Mrs. Roger Pryor's book, Reminiscences of Peace and War, probably refers to the first Battle of Fredericksburg in December 1862:

Not long after the battle of Fredericksburg a participator described the panic, the horror, the fleeing of the women and children from their homes.

"And then," he said, "there arose from that homeless, stricken crowd of women a cry of mortal agony, My things. Oh, my things."

This is a wonderful book. I have had some trouble accustoming myself to reading a book in this way, sitting at my desktop, "turning" the pages by hitting the page down button. I have been reading e-books on my PDA for years with no trouble, but for some reason this seemed different, perhaps because the books available for download at Google books are not quite as portable as txt or html e-books, i.e., they cannot be read on my PDA. I have made the adjustment to desk-top computer reading, though, because I am so very interested in this book. To see the Civil War through the eyes of a woman is a new perspective to me. I have read parts of Civil War diaries of other women, but Mrs. Pryor's resonates with me in a way none of the others have.

No comments: