Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Diary of Betty Herndon Maury - July 6, 1861

Saturday July 6th [1861]

Did not write yesterday because we thought Dick was going away and I was busy helping to fix him off. Do not know when he will leave. it depends upon Capt Hollins.

Molly went boating with Mr. Hill yesterday evening. The evening before the Flying Artillery – Mr. H's company – gave the girls a picnic and last night they had a dance at Mrs. Wolfe's. I am very glad for M to have an opportunity to go out some. It is right funny to see Eliza. She thinks it so hard that Molly should be invited to go any where that she is not. She cannot realize that M is a young lady, and she still a child. Says "but sister Betty I am only two years younger than Tots and I think they might invite me." Even Lucy had an injured and slighted look all day yesterday.

No comments: