Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Diary of Betty Herndon Maury - June 25, 1862

Wednesday June 25th [1862]

At Mr. White’s – twelve miles from Fredericksburg. Monday afternoon Willy White came to our house to say that my dear husband was at his father’s and he had come to take me out to him. In less than half an hour Nannie Belle and I were ready to start. When we had gotten about three miles from town we were overtaken by a party of Yankee cavalry that had pursued us to search for letters. They asked my name – where I came from – and where I was going and when I gave my word of honor that we had no letters or papers of any kind they allowed us to go on. They seem to hear of everything. I was very much afraid they had been informed that Will was here and would come out to take him.

We were out in a dreadful storm and got wet through and through. Had to ford a river – the bridge had been burnt by our army on its retreat – and could only get along with the assistance of two negro men Mr. White had sent to meet us. The descent to the river was perpendicular it seems like a miracle that we got down safely.

When we arrived I was much relieved to find that Will had gone to Uncle Jordan Woolfolk’s. Mr. White thought he would be running a great risk to stay here all night and had persuaded him to go, promising that he would send me down the next day. But the storm of that night has caused such a freshet in the rivers that it will be impossible for us to go for several days yet. All the bridges have been destroyed and we can only cross by fording. It is a great disappointment to be detained here. I do not know where Will is all this time or where I can find him.

Cousin Finnella and Mr. White are as kind and hospitable as they can be, and at any other time I should enjoy a visit here very much.

No comments: