Sunday, July 13, 2008

Diary of Betty Herndon Maury - August 24, 1862

Old Mansion August 24th [1862]

Mr. White moved his family down here about two weeks ago. His home is within the enemies lines and they were making constant depredations upon him. All of his negroes except one old woman have left him.

Nannie Belle and I came here to day to spend a week or ten days.

I am at a loss what to do, or where to go when I leave here. I cannot afford to board in Richmond, and I shrink from going to the Bowling Green tavern without a friend.

I begin to feel anxious too about my winter wardrobe. Nannie Belle and I left Fredericksburg in a buggy with one small trunk of summer clothes. I expected to go back in a month or two and now I have not one article of winter clothing, and no chance of getting any that I can see. But the Lord will provide. Matt. 6 chap. 25 to 34 ver.

The approach of cool weather increases my longing for a home. Oh that my husband had some employment, and we could be together in a happy home of our own again once more. My heart aches for a home.

No comments: