Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Diary of Betty Herndon Maury - October 19, 1861

Saturday [19 October 1861]

General Burnside commands the forces that are expected up the Rappannock [sic]. The last time he was here he was one of cousin Dabney’s groomsmen – and we all came up this river together on a pleasure party. I wonder if he will remember all the incidents of that party? I was not sixteen. It was the first time I had ever officiated as bridesmaid, or been to a grown up party. So every thing made a vivid impression on my mind.

Got a telegram from Dick last night. Says he will not be able to come to his wedding. Johnny carried it up to Sue. I feel sorry for her disappointment. All her preparations made and the guests invited. I took it for granted that Mrs Hart will not give her party now that she knows four days beforehand that Dick cannot come.

No comments: