Sunday, March 2, 2008

Diary of Betty Herndon Maury - September 17, 1861

Tuesday 17th [September 1861]

Will arrived last Saturday. He has some hope that Judge Halliburton will give him the office of Receiver for this District, but I am afraid he will be disappointed. Mr Rowe and Mr Chew are both very sanguine. Judge H must be an old hypocritie to lead all to hope.

I persuaded Will to return to Richmond Monday to remain until it is decided and look after his interests.

I went down with Nanny to Farley Vale on Monday to spend a week. She was taken quite sick soon after we arrived. I felt very anxious about her, there being no other white person on the place besides myself. At dinner time I sent Jim with the horses to borrow one of the neighbour’s carriages and prevailed upon Nanny to come up with me this morning. Uncle Bradie says it is the best thing I could have done.

No comments: